Maintaining a healthy weight is a challenge for most people, and the statistics back it up. According to the Centers for Disease Control, more than two-thirds (68.8 percent) of American adults are considered to be overweight or obese.
If you are overweight, it could be caused by genetic or environmental reasons. But there’s likely another reason, and it involves a missing dietary factor most people completely overlook: A deficiency in gamma linoleic acid (GLA), the Omega-6 healthy fatty acid that sparks fat burning and metabolic rates in the body.
The skinny on GLA and weight management
GLA is thought to be a natural aid to weight loss in two key ways:
- It stimulates “brown fat.” Unlike white fat, which stores calories, mitochondria-packed brown fat cells burn energy and produce heat.
- It charges the metabolism. GLA triggers a metabolic process commonly referred to as the “sodium pump,” helping to use up nearly half of the body’s calories.
Causes of GLA deficiency
An aging population, and for many people, an unbalanced diet contribute to low levels of GLA. The most common causes of GLA deficiency include:
- Eating too many sugary foods and refined grains
- Insulin resistance or diabetes
- Thyroid or pituitary gland problems
- Regularly overeating or being overweight
- Consuming trans fatty acids
- Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol
- Deficiencies of protein, zinc, biotin and vitamins B6, B12 and E
Adding GLA to your diet
For many people, adding GLA to a balanced diet can aid in weight loss and effective, long-term weight management. Like other “good for you” fatty acids, GLA is thought to elevate levels of serotonin, a brain chemical that contributes to feeling full after you eat. GLA naturally exists in:
- Evening primrose oil (EPO)
- Borage oil
- Black currant seed oil
- Beef and chicken
Advanced medical weight loss and weight management
If you have struggled to lose weight and keep it off, The Hernried Center for Medical Weight Loss in Sacramento can help. Our board-certified physicians are dedicated to helping you lose weight and maintain a healthy weight without surgery, and without hunger.
Many of the experts on our team know exactly what you’re going through. They know the frustration and disappointment of losing weight only to regain it, so helping you achieve your weight goals comes from a deeply personal place. And because keeping it off requires more than changing your diet, we surround you with total support, including behavioral counseling, exercise education and more.
To learn more about our proven weight loss solutions, schedule an appointment today by calling 800-815-4881. You can also click here to request a phone consultation or find a Hernried Center near you.